Friday, May 16, 2014

MMM14: McCalls 6884 & 6886

McCalls 6884 mock wrap dress. The instructions were easy to follow.
I used an ITY purchased from FM
I did a sway back adjustment and lengthened the hem by 3". The dress now ends about 1" below my knees. I used stretch lace seam binding to finish the neckline and the front edges of the skirt. The stretch lace stabilizes the neckline, so there's no gaping. The neckline passed the "bend over and face the mirror test".
McCalls 6886 is a close-fitting, pullover dresses have neckline variations, and stitched hemsAgain, the instructions were easy to follow. But I sewed this my way: with a neck binding and the sleeves sewn in flat. It was easy to construct once I figured out where I wanted to place the designs. I used an ITY I purchased from GStreet Fabrics about two years ago. You guys know about that back wall? Danger! Danger!I didn't make any alterations though I should have done a sway back adjustment. Even though the dress looks wonky on Zuki, I spent more time on design matching and placement. All of the designs are straight and flattering on the body. The neck binding is a piece I constructed to bring a bit more interest to the neck area. I sewed it first to the inside, trimmed the SA and then stitched it down to the outside. I used SAS to stabilize it as well as the sleeve and dress hems.




Yes, I am overwhelmed by wardrobe planning. I sew. A lot and yet I find I have nothing to wear. I tend to sew for the pending event. I am participating in MMM14. I haven't posted anything because I have used the past two weeks to do a closet clean out. I am wearing everything I can and deciding to toss or keep at the end of the day. The toss pile has become bigger than my closet! I need everything. Trousers, skirts, dresses! I made two pair of black trouser. One skinny leg and the other flared. Boring, I know. But need to wear something during the day. But now I'm focused on knit dresses. That seems to give me the most pleasure.

13 comments:

The Sewing CPA said...

Those are such beautiful dresses, Angela, They look really comfy, too.

It's Melanie Darling said...

Oh how lovely my dear.

Sheila said...

Very... very pretty dresses... swooning over here.

Sewingfunthings said...

Both dresses are super cute!

Towanda said...

Both dresses look great.

Unknown said...

Love these! Great job and thanks for letting us know you posted them.

Anonymous said...

Pretty dress. Yes, that $2.97 table at G Street is my favorite source of fabric.

HeathersSphere said...

Such stunning dresses! You inspired me to try McCall's 6884.

Cennetta said...

Both dresses are super cute.

Lisa Laree said...

Hey, Angela, you won the patternkeeper giveaway! :-) send your email address to tig77LW at yahoodotcom and I'll have them on your way!

Lisa Laree said...

Duh...I meant, send your mailing address to my email address...

Sassafras said...

The dresses are beautiful. Stumbled on your blog from an old Mimi G Style post.

Unknown said...

Love your fabric choices. I can't believe that something that costed so little can be transformed into something so stylish!

And those midi skirts are even better than the one you made for the Sewing Bee.