Thursday, January 15, 2009

Capes and other musings-

Another UFO completed. Have you ever worn an item that wasn't quite finished? C'mon, you've worn tights with ladders (under trousers or with boots), a blouse missing a button and you've probably Scotch taped a hem or worse, staple it! It was down to the wire and I wanted to wear this animal print outfit so bad. I had envisioned that I would do S6206 (I'd made it before and loved it)but the skirt fabric was too firm for the elastic waist. What to do, what to do? I inserted a zip, sewed four darts to shape it, and serged the hem. I added the waistband tie to the top, threw on the cape I made Febo7 and walked out the door. I prayed no one would give me a close inspection. The hems weren't finished, neither was the waistband. Last night, I found it hanging on the back of my bedroom door. I spent an hour facing the waist, hemming the skirt and the sleeves. I lovingly gave her a good pressing. Now she's perfect! Ever since I saw Diana Ross in Lady Sings the Blues, I've loved capes. I try to make one a year. So yes, I've got a collection. They can be bothersome with all that fabric, but oh, the drama! These capes I made last year, when my car died. I was taking public transportation and needed something light yet warm to wear over layers. I whipped up the teal one. At the time, it was an orphan. Something in a colour that didn't match anything in my wardrobe at the time, yet was fun, striking. The cream one I made to wear on the plane to Texas. Again, light weight yet warm. They are both made from fleece and fast and easy to sew.



7 comments:

Maggie said...

I love the white cape. It looks lush and glamorous.

Erica Bunker said...

The white is my favorite also! It looks great... very chic!

Susan said...

The animal print is fantastic! Glad you revised it to perfection.

Carol said...

The animal print is my favourite, but I love them all. You look amazing in these outfits!

Jackie said...

Your capes look so warm and cozy. I love the animal print outfit! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Threadie said...

I'm in loves with your capes !They are beautiful !!!

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

Thank you, ladies for your kind words. Off white really is glamourous. I was thinking of a full length coat. Would it be practical? Of course not. But it would look fabulous. Maybe for next winter since I am shopping the stash and I know I don't have enough winter white on hand.