Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Caged Lion





This is my first entry for the "Ugly Fabric" contest
Pattern Description: Easy to make and easy to wear, this pattern offers a simple swing silhouette interpreted with a subtly flared sleeve and back inset with feminine seaming details.  The pattern is "Simple Swing Jacket" by Indygo Junction. I also got the DVD done by Nancy Zieman.
At first, the pattern of the fabric was overwhelming. I knew I wanted to make a jacket, as a kimono style coat may have been just too much. I remembered Caroline had posted about Nancy Zieman I bought the pattern and the DVD. Nancy is a great teacher. But it is best if you have some knowledge of sewing terms. It took me 3 hours to lay this out, because the print is one directional and I wanted the lion to be prominent. I especially like the "caged" effect on the back of the jacket. It just need a fabulous button and a good pressing. I will wear it with jeans and a turtleneck.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

I like all the garments you made from the fabrics! Great use of the fabric for the jacket. I like it with the solid fabric on the outside. The skirt is so cute on you and so is the maxi dress. It's hard to choose, but I think the skirt for the contest. Good luck!

catspec said...

BUT, it's anything but ugly! A GREAT jacket!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

You really did make the most of that print! I'm impressed. Great idea to use it as the lining, with just a few touches showing.