Thursday, January 8, 2009

SABLE and I don't have anything to wear?

Okay, what an oxymoron. My closets are packed, but I am not in love with a lot of things I've made. I tend to wear the same things over and over. I think I hit a fashion/sewing funk. What I did sew, were orphans...more or less. I've got a few UFO's laying about. My sewing mojo disappeared.
I don't usually make resolutions as I am ever evolving, but it's time to retrieve and cajole my sewing mojo back into existence. On PatternReview, I've signed up for the UFO, Refashion and Stash Contests. And I am determined to follow through on them. So far this week, I've managed to get some of the UFO's completed, one of which will become a refashioned item or a wadder. I've also put myself on a diet. A fabric diet, that is. My house is ridiculous! I think I spent the last four months dealing with temporary insanity (that's my excuse, and I sticking with it)-I was trying to do my part to stimulate the economy. My local Joann's is going out of business in a few weeks, how could I pass up some great bargains? But enough is enough. I must maintain(regain) some sort of control. Become a more discerning shopper, make a list of exactly what I need, shop my stash first...So far, so good. Hancock's is having a really good pattern sale next weekend. They have one every weekend. Hopefully, they'll have the new patterns out. That's a diet/fast I need to be on, not right now though. Let's see, I need a sewing machine bulb, foldover elastic and double sided basting tape. There is a stable sweater knit I'm looking for. I bought  ONE yard of it last November. One yard! I never buy one yard of anything. That's part of my problem. But I need it. Okay, I don't need it... I'd like to have it as the final garment will be part of my SWAP. See, focused, discerning. Making a list. And I am traveling with $25...cash. That should cover everything.
This weekend I'm cleaning out my closets. I will be ruthless...
Maybe, I'll take Elle's lead. Start from scratch. 

3 comments:

Susan said...

I'm on that same fabric diet. I have only made five items and need to make five more before I'm allowing myself to buy anymore fabric.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

I know right? How does it happen that I have *shelves* of fabric but sometimes nothing grabs my interest at all. I've really worked on buying only good quality fabric that I really truly like, not like only at a low price. I think it helps?

Unknown said...

Wow. I think there is something cathartic about looking at things with fresh eyes, which is what my idea with the Wardrobe Revival is, and it seems I am not the only one that thinks that way, how awesome. I am not throwing clothes away that I have that I think are worth keeping, but I am looking at them as being part of something new. And I am finding that on it's own inspiring. Maybe we are the start of a revolution! Viva the Revival?